Thursday, February 27, 2014

TMI ANSWERS: PLEASE READ ME A STORY!

PLEASE READ ME A STORY!
1. Describe your favorite place to cozy-up with a good book.
I'd love to say "in my big cozy chair in front of my fireplace" but I don't have a big cozy chair. Actually, I find it difficult to read at home because of all the distractions (ok 2 - the computer and tv). I usually will take myself to Starbucks (they have cozy chairs and eye candy) or to the beach specifically to read. I love to read on trains and planes. 
2. What do you read when you're on the toilet?
I don't. I used too but after that episode of Seinfeld where George had to pay for the book he took into the men's room of B&N I realized that it was kind-of-a gross thing to do.
3. Do you read when taking a bath?
I don't take baths often but when I do, I like to listen to soothing music like Enya. This seems to be more of a woman's thing. I remember JoBeth Williams reading in the bath with candles in Poltergeist just before all hell broke loose.
4. If you can, do you read when at the gym?
I don't go to the gym but have had treadmills and an elliptical and have tried reading on them but could never keep my place. How did Elle read all those legal briefs on hers? I guess Reese Witherspoon can just do it all!
5. Do you still read newspapers and or magazines?
I stopped reading newspapers more bc of the content than because of the format and I was never much of a magazine reader. Once I was able to get my comics online I was very happy.
6. What are your favorite genres to read?
It wasn't until I built my Shelfari that I realized just what I tended to read. I knew I loved Stephen King and some other horror authors and of course many gay themed books (either bc of content or author) but I have read a surprising number of biographies, environmental and political books and recently have gotten into mysteries. I wish I was a faster reader. 
I'm just about to finish Wasn't Tomorrow Wonderful? A Memoir by one of my favorite bloggers - Kenneth Walsh of Kenneth in the (212). I love it so far, it revels a part of Kenneth that he rarely shares on his blog. Look for my review soon.   
7. Do you read one book at a time or can you read several?
I don't really understand reading more than one book at a time. To me that would be like starting one movie and then stopping and starting another.  I'm intrigued by people who do this. I also don't put my iPod on shuffle.
8. If you start a book, do you finish it no matter what?
There are a few books that I haven't been able to finish but I think that's more because I'm careful about the books I choose.
9. Did your parents read to you when you were growing up?
Yes, they did. Well, my mom did. Dad was usually working and I don't think he did and I won't ask him now. I don't remember having any favorites. When I started reading on my own, Judy Blume was a favorite.  
10. Have you read to your kids/nephews/nieces?
I don't have kids but have read to my cousins and nephews mostly while babysitting. I also read to kids I babysat. I have always encouraged my nephews to read and was recently rewarded for this when Chris (my youngest nephew 16) told me I was right about books being better.  
FUN FACT: I managed an "intelligent" toy store for kids known as Zainy Brainy (also know as Noodle Kiddodle in other parts of the country) and we had in-store reading hours every day so I had the chance on many occasions to read to large groups of kids and some of those times I was in costume! It was always fun. 
11. How do you feel about reading books vs. using electronic devices? Have your feelings evolved from one or two years ago?
I was an early adapter! I bought the Kindle about a year after it came out and the price fairly reasonable. The biggest benefit to me was the ability to increase the size of the font - even with corrected vision I'd struggle to read the print in most books. I also find I can get into many more comfortable reading positions because of the lightness and size of the Kindle. I do miss the seeing the visual progress when reading books and I'm amazed at how many I have read just using my iPhone app. 

BONUS  
When was the last time you looked at or read an adult magazine to satisfy yourself? When was the last time you even saw one
Once I had my own VCR I all but stopped buying, reading or looking at magazines. I think like most kids (my age) underwear ads and department store catalogs came first, then International Male and then PlayGirl and those magazines that were way in the back and out of reach. I loved First Hand which was mostly stories with a few bw pics in a condensed magazine format. I did see a few on the shelf of one of the Newsroom stores in Penn Station, NY a few weeks ago but they were wrapped in plastic. 

TMI Questions 
Fun, slightly embarrassing questions designed to reveal Too Much Information between you and your significant other and among you and your friends and/or family.

POST YOUR TMI ANSWERS
Post and answer the questions on your blog or tumblr page and then post the link in the comments so that others can read your answers (directions here), visit your website and get to know you too.

5 comments:

  1. Interesting to read. My answers will be online shortly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Wrapped in plastic" always makes me think of Laura Palmer from Twin Peaks. Honcho and Drummer were my fave dirty mags in the early 90's, altho I also liked First Hand for the stories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love First Hand Magazine also. They sell it at the newsstand here in NJ unwrapped but you can't stand around and read it for long without asking "if your gonna buy it."
    I believe you can subscribe to it online now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. #2 - I had to look up that Seinfeld episode Seinfeld Clip - George's Toilet Book. Funny as hell!

    #4 - And the latest trend is to put a treadmill under your desk, so that you walk while working???

    I think you inspired the most number of your followers with this particular TMI, including myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A little late to the party, but my post is up now.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love feedback and opinions!

To include a clickable link back to your blog or to a point of interest:
Click on this link for directions:

HOW TO INCLUDE OR POST A LINK IN BLOGGER COMMENTS

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

CROSSPOST